Why should I attend an Insight Day?
As the famous saying goes, “the first step is the hardest in every journey of dreams,” and it is no different when embarking on a career in law. The hardest part of starting the journey to become a lawyer is obtaining that initial vacation scheme or a training contract. So why not make life easier for yourself by attending a firm Insight Day? What better way of understanding how the firm operates than by seeing it first-hand for yourself?
Each law firm is different in respect to size and legal areas it may practice. It is therefore vital to select a firm that is right for you and one you can see yourself fitting in to. An Insight Day will allow you to get an insight into how a firm works by enabling you to meet and chat to everyone from trainees through to partners, as well as the graduate recruitment team. This provides you with an invaluable opportunity to ask questions and really get a feel for what working at the firm would be like.
It will also help you stand out and shine in respect to your CV. As recruiters deal with hundreds of applications, you will need something that will make you stand out. What better way to set yourself apart from other candidates than by being able to say you have visited their offices? Make sure your application refers to something you learnt or participated in on the Insight Day and mention who you met. This will elevate your application as it will demonstrate your enthusiasm for the law and proactiveness in learning about the firm, rather than having just stumbled across it on the internet when you realised application deadlines were looming.
But it’s not as simple as just attending the Insight Day. Here are some tips for the day itself:
1.Don’t be late- better to be early than a minute late. Nothing will create a worse first impression than being late.
2. Don’t be on your phone – someone sat on their phone will create a bad impression.
3. Always stay professional – whether chatting to a partner or eating your lunch, demonstrate professionalism.
4. Be enthusiastic – this will create a great impression.
5. Don’t be shy – the firm wants to get to know you at an Insight Day so don’t be afraid to make conversation. It doesn’t have to be all about law either. Talk about your hobbies and interests.
6. Ask questions – show your engagement and interest by asking questions. Perhaps prepare some questions that you want to ask during the day.
7. Research the firm – this will allow you to ask relevant questions and get the most out of your day.
8. Dress Smart – it goes without saying that the firm will expect you to be dressed appropriately.
9. Stay in touch – if you have a good chat with someone from the firm, stay in touch on LinkedIn.