What if … you could no longer look after your own affairs?

Throughout life, we all need a little help sometimes. Whether it is you personally, or a family member or friend, it may be that now, or at some point in the future, help is required in managing and making decisions regarding financial affairs or making decisions in relation to health and welfare, including medical treatment and care decisions.

Whilst you are able to make decisions about your own affairs, you can appoint people you know and trust to look after your finances and/or health and welfare should it be the case you are no longer able to do this yourself. We can guide you through the process of putting in place Lasting Powers of Attorney for both property and finances and health and welfare to give you peace of mind that, should you ever find yourself in this vulnerable position, you have chosen the right people to take care of your affairs.

You may feel that there is no one you trust enough, or know well enough, to give power over your finances or health decisions. This is again, something we can help with, by discussing your options with you or even acting on your behalf.

As with most things in life, prevention is better than the cure. By putting in place Lasting Powers of Attorney, you can choose who you wish to deal with these decisions for you and you can put in place the relevant protection so that if it was ever needed, it could be used right away.

We all hope that this will not become relevant to ourselves or family members, but if illness or accident occurs leaving us without the ability to make decisions ourselves, life could grind to a halt whilst family members or friends try to obtain authority to deal with your affairs. This can cause a number of problems if your bills are not being paid, care is needed but cannot be paid for or there is no one to speak up on your behalf in terms of medical decisions and your welfare.

Sadly, it may be the case that a family member or friend never put in place protection in these circumstances and you now need help in getting authority to manage their affairs. In those circumstances it is likely an application to the Court of Protection would be needed for the Court to appoint you as that person’s Deputy to look after their property and finances.

We can assist you in making the application to the Court of Protection and obtaining the Deputyship Order.

Share ...
Get in touch