Services and Pricing
Probate: Applying for the grant, collecting and distributing the assets
This quote is for estates where:
- There is a valid straightforward will
- There is no more than one property and it is situated in the UK
- There are no more than 3 bank or building society accounts
- There are no other intangible assets
- There are no more than 4 beneficiaries
- There are no disputes between beneficiaries on division of assets. If disputes arise this is likely to lead to an increase in costs
- There is no inheritance tax payable and the executors do not need to submit a full account to HMRC
- There are no claims made against the estate
We will handle the full process for you. We anticipate this will take between 6- and 10-hours work based on a charge out rate of £185 per hour. Legal fees estimated at £1,000-1,850 (+VAT) and disbursements.
The exact cost will depend on the individual circumstances of the matter. For example, if there is one beneficiary and no property, costs will be at the lower end of the range. If there are multiple beneficiaries, a property and multiple bank accounts, costs will be at the higher end.
Disbursements are costs related to your matter that are payable to third parties, such as court fees. We handle the payment of the disbursements on your behalf to ensure a smoother process.
- Probate application fee of £155 (This fee is set by the probate court)
- £7 Swearing of the oath (per executor)
- Bankruptcy-only Land Charges Department searches (£2 per beneficiary)
- Approximately £70 plus VAT for a post in The London Gazette – Protects against unexpected claims from unknown creditors. This is optional and at the executor’s discretion.
- Approximately £200-300 to post in a Local Newspaper – This also helps to protect against unexpected claims. This is optional and at the executor’s discretion.
- If any additional copies of the grant are required, they will cost 50p (1 per asset usually).
On average, estates that fall within this range are dealt with within 3-4 months. Typically, obtaining the grant of probate takes 6-8 weeks. Collecting assets then follows, which can take between 2-3 weeks. Once this has been done, we can distribute the assets, which normally takes 3-4 weeks. The time scales will vary depending on the institutions we need to contact and whether we are assisting with the sale of a property.
Potential complexities and additional costs:
- If there is no will (an intestacy) there is likely to be additional costs that could range significantly depending on the estate and how it is to be dealt with. We can give you a more accurate quote once we have more information.
- If the estate consists of any shareholdings (stocks and bonds) there is likely to be additional costs that could range significantly depending on the shareholdings involved and how they are to be distributed. We can give you a more accurate quote once we have more information.
- If there is inheritance tax payable and it is necessary for us to complete a full account to HMRC. If the estate is over £325,000 then usually inheritance tax is payable. However, if the deceased had a spouse that passed everything to them when they died previously, it may be possible to use a tax allowance to reduce, or even avoid completely, any inheritance tax due. In some circumstances an additional relief from inheritance tax called ‘the Residential Nil Rate band’ can be claimed. Claiming the reliefs means there will be additional work involved. We can provide you with a tailored quote if you provide us with all the relevant information.
- If the Will places property into a Trust to protect it for future generations, you will need to set the Trust up as part of the administration of the estate and ensure the property is transferred into the names of the Trustees. Our additional fees would be dependent on the type of trust the Will creates.
- Dealing with the sale or transfer of any property will be an additional cost and we can provide you with a quote through our conveyancing team.
Do you offer fixed fees?
In certain circumstances, where the work required can be assessed with certainty, we may be able to offer a fixed fee for the work we do. Please contact a member of our probate team to discuss this.
Why Choose Us?
- High-quality professional service with a personal touch
- Experience you can trust
- Ready to help, whatever your sector or circumstances
- Specialist legal teams based in Sheffield, Leeds and Doncaster
Who would be looking after you ?
Your file would be handled by one of highly experienced solicitors who along with the team, would handle your case from start to finish.
If you would like to know more about the people in the team, have a look:
Or meet the rest of the team here