Legal Secretary – Family Department
Hours of Work: 9am – 5pm Monday – Friday
Are you an experienced secretary or have an interest in public family law? If so, an excellent opportunity has arisen for a legal secretary in our Sheffield office.
Main Purpose of role:
We are currently seeking an experienced legal secretary to work within our busy and fast paced team. Work will predominantly include public law children (care proceedings) and private children matters.
- Diary management,
- Organising meetings and appointments,
- Great client care skills and to be able to liaise with clients without support (once fully trained and confident). Dealing with general enquiries via the telephone on behalf of the Solicitors, taking accurate telephone messages and where possible acting upon these,
- Excellent communication and administration skills,
- Copy type work using digital dictation,
- Completing conflict checks and opening new files both on the case management system and the relevant paper files,
- Issuing applications to the Court,
- Liaison with clients and ensuring good standard of client care,
- Ensuring all information on the database is completed, accurate and kept up to date,
- Preparing court documents including court bundles,
- Maintain the in-house database in line with the company’s procedures and the Data Protection Act, ensuring that all data is accurate and up to date at all times
- Prompt administration of files such as opening and closing, billing, recording undertakings, archiving, etc., as directed by the Head of Department,
- At all times comply with all relevant legislation and regulations as directed by the firm (e.g. client confidentiality, anti-money laundering, Solicitors’ Regulation Authority and The Law Society rules, Solicitors’ Accounts Rules, Data Protection Act, etc.)
- Filing confidential client correspondence,
- In all dealings with clients and others, internally and externally, behave professionally, helpfully and courteously at all times and ensure the positive representation of the firm
- Work as part of a team,
- Ensuring departmental systems and firm-wide procedures are followed.
- Legal secretarial experience and a strong interest in Family law, particularly children matters.
- Willingness to work well as part of a busy, friendly team,
- Self-initiative, and ability to prioritise voluminous work load
- Excellent working knowledge of Microsoft Office,
- Confident, clear and articulate communication skills both orally and in writing,
- Pleasant telephone manner, speaks clearly and fluently,
- Ability to work in a planned and organised way, but has the ability to multitask,
- Methodical, accurate and consistent even when under the workload and/or time pressures,
- Adapts and fits in well, able to work independently and within a team.
The workload handled by the Associate will comprise of mainly public children law proceedings, and private children act matters, therefore it is desirable that candidates have experience within a Family Department to be able to hit the ground running. However, we will consider candidates with significant secretarial experience and a strong interest in family law.
Apply by sending an email with an attached CV and covering letter to: